Blog

Posted by david on 04 October 2012 at 11:57 am

I've pushed some Blocks app updates to the Clay repo that allow you to use Blocks in a theme. I updated the Simplestyle_4 theme's page template and have been testing the new Blocks. They work very well and it is a fairly light-weight implementation. I have a few things I want to try as far as bottlenecks go, but for now I can't complain. The block groups actually use the Application Component class, just as a regular application component does. I was on the fence about implementing them that way, but it seems to not bottleneck quite as bad as I feared. My only real concern is battering the database with privilege queries. I have a few things I want to help there, but I may have to tweak the privileges processing a bit if I can't otherwise cut down on queries.

I updated an app I started farily recently named WYSIHTML5. I am using the codebase from https://github.com/jhollingworth/bootstrap-wysihtml5, which has a really nice implementation of WYSIHTML5. You don't have to install the app to use it, but once the editors service is fully implemented installation will be required. 

I changed the Blog app to use WYSIHTML5. It was using TinyMCE, which I like, but the new editor is much nicer. Eventually I plan to move TinyMCE into its own app and put it on the editors service. WYSIHTML5 doesn't have all of the plugins that TinyMCE does, but it seems to integrate better. The editors will be configurable in the future so luckily my preference won't matter that much.

I plan to keep pushing forward with Blocks and working on other stuff as I go along. I've got a lot accomplished this week and I'm really happy with the way things are moving along.

Comments

Log in to comment

No comments yet!