Blog

Posted by david on 21 September 2012 at 10:09 am

I've been a little quiet on here lately, sorry about that. I have worked on Clay some, but my family and I are getting ready to move after the new year, so it's been kind of hard to find time. I'll post where we are moving after I get my orders from the USAF, just in case something doesn't work out. 

I've been working on the Roles and Privileges admin GUIs, some of the updates have been pushed to the repo. I'm worrying a little about how the privilege system is going to affect performance, the Roles hierarchy system may be a bit complex. I'm going with it for now, as I don't really have a better solution at the moment. 

I've made some enhancements here and there, but nothing really major. The code base is getting a little heavier than I like, so I will likely be splitting up some of the code that isn't always needed. By code base, I mean the amount of code needed for a page to load. I'm trying to figure out a good way to implement the submodules to move some of the code out of the main module classes.

As I wrote in my last blog, I'm looking at some ideas for applications to work on. I'm adding an Editors service, so I have have more than just TinyMCE. I like TinyMCE, but I want to go a different route, something more HTML5 based. The Editors service will allow you to pick which editor you want, so TinyMCE will very likely be available. I've been trying to workout how to do the Blocks and Hooks, which will open the door to a lot of applications I've been putting on hold. One thing I've been bouncing back and forth on is an application generator. The Nodes in Drupal have been its bread and butter, so a way to create pseudo applications is going to be more of a requirement than an option, development-wise. Xaraya's Articles and XarPages modules also strengthen the case for it.

One of my ideas for an application generator is by using it as a component of the Apps application. It would basically allow you to piece together an application from a GUI and then generate some generic templates to go along with it. The generated application would then be listed as an installed app, but with a different status code to show it isn't a native application. The app could then be exported and imported somewhere else or used to build a native application. I have some experimental code that could be applied to implement that, such as the Object app. 

I've been looking for ways to improve the Dashboard. I want to keep it simple, but as usable as possible. I'm thinking the Blocks will be a big helper there. I want it as dynamic as possible, but that also takes away from performance as well. Last, but not least, I will likely be moving toward a short url system fairly soon. I'm not expecting to use a strictly defined router or mapping system, as I had previously looked into. I may use something like that as a fallback system, but I'd prefer to allow each application to define it's URL schema. Too many things to think about at once :)

Comments

Log in to comment

No comments yet!