31 Oct 17
Someone asked me why I'm building ClaySS, instead of using Bootstrap or one of the Material Design frameworks. Honestly, I could use one of them, but I'd rather use all of them. There are things I like about all of them and things I don't. ClaySS is essentially a bunch of variables tied to classes with variable names. I can assign whatever styling I want to a variable or even change the name of the class with a variable. I can set color schemes with a few variables or individually set every color with it's individual variable. If a class isn't what I want, I can override it completely. I can do that it it be totally independent of any other theme within Clay. I can also build a few utility classes that do almost everything and then modify them with as many extra classes as I want. That's why I'm building ClaySS. If I only use bootstrap, somewhere someone will see something and say, "oh, they are using Bootstrap." I don't want that. Most people won't care or even know what Bootstrap is, but I do. I don't want to be tied down to someone's opinion, it's the same reason I built Clay, I care and that's why I do it.
30 Oct 17
I've been working on a new navbar for the top of the page. It has been hardcoded into a template in the past, but it will soon be customizable from the Dashboard. I plan to build a few different types of drop-down menu options and some other goodies into it. It will also have several options for responsive display that add different effects.
This is all part of the CSS framework and the Clay 1.2 upgrades. I'm also moving ahead and knocking out some of the milestones for 1.4, which should get us to 2.0 a little faster. More on that later.
27 Oct 17
I'm building my first theme with the CSS framework. I'm loving the grid system. There are still tons of styles to add before it replaces Clay's CSS, but it's on it's way. The first theme will be entirely new and then I'll probably go back and convert the current theme. Hopefully in a few weeks I can introduce the new Potter default theme.
25 Oct 17
I'm back to work on the ClaySS CSS framework. The thing I think that makes this framework different is the way it doesn't just use SASS, it is being built to provide useful styles, but also leaves room for building onto it. Every style has variables for every setting, so it is completely customizable. It will also include all of the styling for Clay, including applications, in a single generated stylesheet.
The way it works is the theme has an scss file that contains all of it's custom CSS and variables and an include to ClaySS. When the css is compiled, it pulls in everything else and overrides whatever it is customizing. This prevents an application from overriding the theme and allows you to quickly update a theme for compatibility. It also allows you to use a single CSS file and not have to link so many stylesheets.
ClaySS also provides many utility styles, which means individual applications won't have as many application-specific styles. Finally, it allows me to build in a modular fashion, which divides everything by type and function. The variables are namespaced modularly as well, so if you identify a style to update, you use a variable following the namespace pattern and shouldn't have to dig to find out what that variable is called.
Once it is further along, I'll write a blog post about using iotaCSS and how I've used it within ClaySS.
24 Oct 17
I added search filters to the Bible app tonight. I can now filter by Old or New Testament and by Book. It displays the books available in the search results, then you can narrow it from there. I'm happy with it so far.
23 Oct 17
I added several layout options to the Bible app today. I also added a search, which is extremely accurate. It's coming along nicely, so I should have the first version online soon. It will just be the Bible, without all of the extras, at first. The next version I'll attempt to add the concordance. That part will be difficult, I'm afraid, but will be one of the more useful features for me. Getting excited to share it with the world 😀
22 Oct 17
I've made a lot of progress on the Bible app. I'm going with a very basic display at first, but it will have very good navigation and will be readable. I'm just not doing anything fancy, because my styling framework will be changing soon. It would be a waste of time to put a lot of effort into using something that will completely change over the next month.
Now that I have the Bible display working, I'll begin working on some study tools to go into it. I'll also be working on a basic search engine for it, with a plan to add precision and related search later.
I have a ton of features I plan for it to have, so even when the web site goes live, there will be fairly frequent updates for a while. A nice side effect is many of the features I'm adding will use new capabilities in Clay itself, such as the search engine.
19 Oct 17
Around 13 years ago I wrote a Bible module for the Xaraya CMS, I only used it for a year or so and it was lost over time. Thanks to the Internet, I found a copy of it and I'm now converting it into a Clay app.
It's going to be very different this time around, but it will be based on the same database, just with a different focus. There are already tons of online Bibles, my goal with this one is to make an online study Bible. I hope to have the basic Bible online in a couple of weeks and I'll build onto it from there.
I'll post a link once it's online.
14 Oct 17
I've upgraded the site to Clay 1.1. Everything should be back to normal. If you notice an issue, use the Email Me link to the left and let me know please!
This weekend there will likely be some downtime or at least some display issues on the site for a short period. I'll be upgrading to Clay 1.1, which involves some administrative changes to the site following the upgrade.