Blog

We finally moved into our new house today, finally. Pics and stuff to come. Feels nice to spend the night at home, instead of the hotels we've been in for the last 2 months.
We will be leaving Italy soon, so we decided to take one last trip to Venice. It was a cold day, but overall a good one. Google took the liberty of applying a filter to a picture of the tower in San Marco's Square:

6:03 pm
Worked on my Summernote app some more. I found it either difficult or confusing to build a full plugin, so I actually forked the JS file. I wrote my embed stuff directly into Summernote and it works quite well. I'm probably going to keep it that way for now and actually remove the code for buttons I don't need. Eventually I'd like to make every button a plugin, but from what I can tell, you can't create new handlers in a plugin, you have to use the generic one. I could be wrong though, I'm no JS expert. Part of my emphasis shifted later in the day to the thought of turning the embedded sites into a service (product). There are sites out there that do that, but I don't really want to pay for it if I can do it. I may build it into Clay and make it a collective feature like some of the other stuff I'm working on. ;)

Roll Tide! 

Clemson played their hearts out, hats off to those guys. 2 champions, unfortunately there's only trophy.
11:20 am
While working on the Summernote app for Clay, I noticed attached videos (from YouTube, vimeo, etc) were put in iframes. Unfortunately my HTML filter forbids iframes and for good reason. So, I made something new instead. I've made a way to embed videos, images, tweets, Github's, etc, without compromising to XSS attackers. It uses a server side response to validate a request and then attaches the relevant tags to display the type of content. I actually borrowed part of the idea, but haven't seen an implementation quite like mine. It uses ajax of course, so each item loads independently and uses a standard starter tag to launch it, regardless of content type. I built the JavaScript side into the main JS file for Clay, so it will work anywhere on the page. I still have to do the button actions in Summernote, but that looks fairly easy.
So, I've been working on a custom upload Callback for Summernote, pretty much the last 3 hours. I could not get it to work. I searched for every keyword I could think of and everything showed variations of what I was doing. Finally, I found this little blurb on the docs that say since 0.7.0, callbacks require to be wrapped in callback : {}. Hours of frustration, looking at the same few lines and rewriting the same thing, over and over... Nothing I found on Google, even stuff posted in December, showed that for callbacks. I want to hug whomever wrote that blurb... In summary, callbacks in Summernote 0.7.1 have to be wrapped in callback.
5:05 pm
I didn't get to work on the new blog stuff tonight, but I am looking forward to being able to add pics from my phone and even video. I am working on adding an API to supports CDNs and cloud storage for those. But, I did build a BA coil for my ecig tonight. I actually had the ohms down to 0.1, but I think the regulator on my mod either didn't like it or the battery was too low. I generally run 0.5-7, but I adjusted this one up to 0.4, just in case. I'll have to get a bigger batt, don't want to push it too low. I'm just using a Kangertech Subtank mini with the RBA on the eleaf 50W batt. I'll have to get something bigger down the road.
3:12 pm
After some messing around, I decided I want to try a newer HTML editor for blogs.  I've been looking into Summernote, which I like a lot. It's better maintained than the Bootstrap-WYSIHTML5 editors and I don't have to dig through forks to see which one are actually being maintained or updated.
They are very similar, but Summernote actually has image upload and appears to be more customizable, although I admit my attempts to customize WYSIHTML5 has been limited. Just playing around for now, but I'm learning toward at least putting Summernote through a trial run for a few months. I don't really see a point in maintaining 2 very similar editors, so whichever I pick is going to be the only one I keep in Clay.
5:37 pm
So... apparently the editor works just fine.  The problem may be with bootstrap.
Edit: The problem is actually the width of the editor, or so it seems. Looks like I may have to look for a different way to use the editor on smaller screens.

5:34 pm
I'm going to be working on some publishing features that I plan to put on this site. I'm not decided on how feature rich in want to go, since I kind of like keeping it simple around here, but too simple is boring. A lot of it will get pushed to the Clay repo as well. I'm thinking some social network mixins and a photo gallery would be nice additions. I also need to work on this text editor on mobile...
5:56 pm
I hate moving...spent all day getting stuff ready and not even close to done. Also hate most of my stuff is 220v and I can't use it in the States. I really need to add some features tonthis site too...boring!